AYDEN, N.C. (WNCT) – A mobile home in Pitt County was destroyed after a stove was left unattended Saturday afternoon.
Ayden Fire and Rescue said they were dispatched to Jacksontown Road around 12:50 p.m.
Smoke was visible coming from the home when crews arrived.
Ayden Fire and Rescue called in Grifton Fire and Rescue and Winterville Community Fire Department to help.
The three departments were able to knock the fire out within 20 minutes of being dispatched.
"The heat today was unbearable," Ayden Fire and Rescue Chief Sam Jones said. "It was 92 or 93 today at the time of the call. Everyone who responded were volunteers, so these men and women stopped what they were doing on their weekend to go assist this family."
Three adults and one 13-year-old lived inside the home.
Jones said one of the adults was cooking lunch when that person left to walk the dog.
When that person came back, the smoke detectors were going off, Jones said.
No one was inside when the fire ignited, and no one was injured.
There is extensive damage to the three main rooms inside the home, and Jones said the home is a total loss.
The Red Cross was on the scene within an hour and will be assisting the family moving forward.